Today I turn 47. When I Googled images for the number 47, the first thing that came up were lots and lots of guns…as in AK47. After the guns, came images of the 47% that is discussed regularly in political circles.
• 47 is an odd number.
• It is a ‘safe’ prime number.
• 47 is a favorite number of and used over and over in Star Trek.
• 47 is the number of miles of barbed wire walked by the singer of Bo Diddley's "Who Do You Love".
• The Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn are located 47 degrees apart (interesting as I am a Capricorn).
• 47 is my Curly Girls's favorite number.
• 47 appears to be the quintessential random number of the universe.
Well, isn’t all of that interesting? I am now the quintessential random number of the universe.
I do not love nor hate birthdays myself. I am really indifferent to my own birthday. I try to make each of my children's birthdays special for them but me...well...I can take it or leave it. My family never makes a big deal of my birthday and that is alright by me.
Today is another day on the calendar and one where I do what I always do...get up, go to work....do mom stuff. I do get to celebrate Mass today with the school. My students have prepared a Mass for Social Justice. I love my faith so this makes my day special. However, seeing that it is my birthday, I thought I should stop and take some time to reflect.
So here are some random thoughts about today...
1. Today is the day that A.A. Milne was born. He is the author of Winnie the Pooh. I adore Pooh Bear. We have a great deal in common...very little brain/enormous heart....the love of good company and a pot of honey (or bottle of wine in my case). Pooh is wiser than he ever thinks he is and a good friend.
2. I am proud of my age and don't care who knows that I am 47 today. I earned every year of that age. Up, down, good, bad...I like to think that I am 21 with 26 years experience! I would not be the person I am today without all that experience!
3. Age is just a number. It is so true. One can be 20 and look older. One can be 60 and look younger (with or without the help of a good surgeon). One can act younger or older than they are as well. We can all do things that help us look and feel younger (or older)....it is all in how you feel!
4. We spend our youth trying to grow up. We tell our kids to grow up. We dress and act older than we are. When we start to age, we try to dress and act younger. Why are we never really content right where we are?
5. Why are we so afraid of birthdays? Why are we afraid to get older? Are we afraid we are one step closer to the grave? Who cares? I could be gone tomorrow. I want to celebrate the fact that I am breathing right now.
6. I have been blessed with so many wonderful people in my life. Many who are gone now, some who passed at a young age, but all had so much to teach me. I am so grateful for all of them. I continue to be surrounded by so many fabulous people that I learn from each day.
7. Kids....If anyone would have told me when I was in college that I would eventually marry (a cop, no less!) and be the mother to 5 kids, I would have told them to sober up! Not Happening! But here I am....married almost 19 years and a mom to many! I could not be happier with where I am today. It is not easy but it is the best job I could ask for.
8. Live for the little things. I never expect a lot and am constantly surprised. I relish and savor the little things because it is in the little things that one finds true miracles.
9. 46 was a really good year. There were ups and there were downs but for the most part it was a good year. I am finally comfortable in my own skin. I embrace who and what I am today…right here in present form. I am a work in progress but comfortable with that status.
10. Another trip 'round the sun...what will happen on this trip? Ever wonder if you have packed correctly for your trip? I do....what will I need for this journey? Where will I be at this time next year?
So today, as I pull on my pink sassy boots, I am ready for an adventure to happen. I don't know where I will be at this time next year but I hope it is back here with more stories to tell. I don't know what the year has in store for me but I can only hope it is more learning, growing and Inspiring! Peace.
"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." AA Milne
"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." Winnie the Pooh