Saturday, June 16, 2012

Dads

Fathers day is here and I felt compelled to write a bit about dads. Moms seem to get all the glory but dads need a little love too.

There are more deadbeat dads than moms so dads often get a bad rap. However, there are some rock star dads. They seem to take a back seat and let us moms shine. The dads I know and love are an example for all.

My own dad gave me gifts and taught me many lessons... sometimes in spite of himself. Now he imparts his wisdom on his grandchildren. It is a joy to watch him relate to these kids as they grow.

My husband is a great dad. He works hard to provide for our family often missing special events and holidays. Sometimes just missing the basic goings on of everyday life I know are hardest for him. He makes up for it by being the 'go to' guy for our kids. I am always the bad cop allowing him be the good cop. This provides balance for our kids. He makes time to do things with each child and has a special relationship with each one. He is also the joker and more easy going than I, thus often providing comic relief to my straight face.

There are many great dads I my running group. Two of them really stand out. S is a cancer survivor and plans his work schedule so that his kids spend their time at home with him and not In daycare while his wife is at work. D has dropped so much weight in order to be more active with his girls. Both men run and take care of themselves so that they are around for a long time to see their kids grow.

My pal R is a stay at home dad. He raises the kids while his wife works. It is unconventional and not many understand the arrangement but it works for them. He allows his kids to grow, explore and be themselves. His children have a special bond with him and he fosters their individual identities like no other. And boy can he cook! He feeds the spirit and soul of all in his family.

My own godson has taken to the role of father with gusto. He takes such pride in the growth and development of his two children. Those 2 kids have no idea how lucky they are to have A as their father. The adventures have only just begun for that family.

It is hard to express the admiration I have for these men who put their children first. Their every thought is about what is best for their children. The love they have for their children is palpable They live their lives putting their families above all else. They live their lives not basking in the glory but quietly setting an example. They live their lives modeling the values and virtues that will live on long after they are gone. Happy Father's Day to these dads and all dads. Celebrate the great dads in your life today. Peace.



No comments:

Post a Comment