Thursday, August 30, 2012

Win

Some runs are good and some are bad. Just like life....some days are better than others but we get through move forward and move on.

Today's run was one of the really bad runs. I knew it would be before I even started but didn't think it was going to be as bad as it turned out.

Let me back up first and tell you all what has led up to this. I spent the summer working out, running spending my time getting stronger mentally and physically. This month I headed back to work after summer break. At first I was doing really well at getting up early and running before meetings but once school began, that became more difficult.

My day begins at 4:30 and we are out the door by 6:30. The day moves at a rapid pace from that point on. I am on my feet all day and supervise lunch so when the final bell rings at 3 I am beat but that means nothing to the schedule. There are games, practices, homework, dinner, activities, etc.

Tuesday I took my son to cross country and planned to run while he was at practice. I was invited to run with the 7/8th graders so I did. I was the turtle in the back but they pushed me to a rapid pace...way faster than my usual! It was a great run and I was on cloud nine.

Wednesday was a bit warmer and I ran 9. It was not my best nor my fastest but I got it done and it was not horrible.

Today....well that was another story. I drove kids all over and started dinner. I told the kids we would eat once I was done with my run. I had a snack of some trail mix and headed out. I have not been sleeping well (or enough) so I was exhausted and really not feeling the run. It was so hot (90's) so I started slow and just kept putting one foot in front of the other. The hardest part for me is always the first mile or so. Once I find my happy pace I can run for miles. But I never found that happy pace today. As the run progressed I started to feel sick ... Queasy and lightheaded. Not good.

I got about a mile and a half from home and just felt horrible. I was so hot and my stomache was doing more tricks that a circus monkey. I kept belching and ...tasting trail mix a second time was not my idea of yummy . I stopped dead in my tracks and thought I was going to puke. My legs felt like lead. I was drenched in sweat. I thought about calling my daughter to come get me but decided to try to get home. So I did a glacial run/walk the 1.5 home. I arrived back at the house feeling worse than ever. The circus monkey in my belly had turned into an elephant. I could not stand in one place without leaving a pool of sweat ...not a puddle....a giant lake of sweat. I could not cool down so I headed to the shower. I jumped in and began to feel better. Eventually I did feel much better and ate dinner.

Not every run can be great. Today I ran 3 miles instead of 5 but I didn't puke or pass out. I did more than I thought even though it sucked. so even though it was a horrible run...I call it a win. I ran 3 more miles today.

 

1 comment:

  1. I think it's so important to remember what you said about each run being different, just like each day of our lives. Just today I got an email from my Team in Training coaches saying that just because a person has a "bad run," it does not make them a "bad runner." I guess several of us had rough runs this past Saturday (me being one of them), and it's easy to get down on ourselves. But the important thing is doing it, and even when it's hard, not throwing in the towel and quitting running! Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete