Sunday, February 10, 2013

Moments

Life is made up of moments. It is up to us to recognize and savor each one for we will not pass that way again.

A few weeks ago 13 attended the opera with my mom. She was in no way thrilled to spend a Sunday afternoon listening to "screaming", as she put it. I told her I was jealous. She was about to see my favorite opera, LaBoheme. Such a wonderful love story. Off I sent her and hours later I got a short, sweet text..."how was it?" "GREAT!"....And then...."mom, I cried!" My heart soared.

Thursday we had a big heavy snow and I knew I needed to shovel as my husband was working late and I didn't want him to do it when he got home. I geared up and headed out. 9 come out and asked if he and the pup could 'help'. Of course, I said. I didn't ask about homework or anything else I just wanted them to play in the snow.

It was already dark and I was shoveling by streetlight. 9 was building a snow fort and pup was trying to bury herself in the snow. It was so peaceful with just the 3 of us in the half dark. As I shoveled, 9 told me of his day and then out of the blue began to recite a poem..

Whose woods these are I think I know.

His house is in the village though;

He will not see me stopping here

To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer

To stop without a farmhouse near

Between the woods and frozen lake

The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake

To ask if there is some mistake.

The only other sound’s the sweep

Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.

But I have promises to keep,

And miles to go before I sleep,

And miles to go before I sleep.

 

Robert Frost

What he failed to understand as I started to cry is that this poem is dear to my heart. It is a part of my college song and holds so much meaning to me. In the low light he didn't see the tear rolling down my cheeks as he recited the words. I asked why he decided to say that poem. He said he had to memorize it for class and wanted me to hear it...it just happened that it was quiet enough for him to feel comfortable... My heart danced.

Last night I was feeling frenzied but wanted to try a new recipe so I started cooking after a long, busy day. I was working on meals for 2 nights. As I worked, 14 joined me in the kitchen and asked if I needed help. What? An offer of real assistance? That is unheard of around my house! I immediately accepted. I turned on the Sinatra Pandora stations dn soon we were moving and chatting and cooking up a storm....then she began to sing...an oldie...one I didn't realize she knew. I asked her where/how she knew the song. Her response was quick..."mom, I have heard you sing it a million times...you think I am not paying attention...I am..." My heart took flight!

Life is filled with little moments...little miracles. We have to be awake. We have to cherish these times of wonder. We have to appreciate the little moments that make up our lives. It is these moments strung together that make a life...one that never seems long enough.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment