Sunday, September 16, 2012

Letter

An open letter

Dear lady at the gym,

I see you here often. I see how you sheepishly use the equipment and hand weights. I have watched you for months. I have watched as you get stronger and more confident. I want walk over and congratulate you on your progress but I fear you might think me insincere.

I have watched the other gym members reactions to you. I see their eyes roll as you hold on to the treadmill to keep your balance. What they fail to notice is how your speed on the treadmill has increased. I see the giggles of the other females as you try the elliptical. What they don't know is that it has taken you months to build the confidence to even try that machine. I notice as you lift the hand weights how the others In that corner look away. They are missing the fact that you have gone from a 2 pound weight to a 6 pound weight.

All those people see is the overweight woman who is not like them. All they see is the outside. Poor things. They don't notice the true strength you process. They don't see the determination on your heart.

I can not imagine the strength it took for you to come here the first time and the perseverance it takes to come back each week. I know that you seem like me a long time ago. I was overweight, out of shape and scared. I want you to know you are not alone. I want you to know that you are improving and I notice even though no one else might. I see you.... I see you for all that you are and I am so proud of you. Peace.

2 comments: