Sunday, March 6, 2016

Plunge

Today I lived a dream. I did something I never in a million years thought I would do. Not only that, I got to see my son do the same.
Today I took the polar plunge for Special Olympics and Girls on the Run. When I signed up a few months back, I really did not A) think I would raise the funds B) actually Plunge C) have a cheering section!
Well I not only raised more than I needed for 2 amazing charities but I did plunge and with an amazing cheering section!
13 checked in the night before and made sure we were still going in the morning. I had made tutus for our team and the weather was supposed to be good...so why not?!
Gaga and 13
I got up in the morning, had coffee and got everything together then woke up 13. We got in the car, got more coffee and headed towards the lake. We sang along to the radio as we made our way to the parking lot.  Once parked, we walked to the North Avenue Beach house. 13 was more excited to "stalk" celebrities than ot see momma jump in the lake and made no bones about it!
Once we got the "lay of the land' we met up with 2 friends of mine...one is my "running daddy' the other is my "personal Paparazzi". My PP gave 13 some celeb spotting tips and then he was off.
13 and I noticed that some celebs were coming out of the "warming" area. It was Tyler Kinney and Lady Gaga!! 13 tried to get  "selfie" but Gaga was not paying attention. Momma opened her big mouth as 13 ran ahead. He asked again and there it was...the selfie (and the only one she would take all day).  My son was hyperventilating and tears came...from both of us. Seeing him meet someone he considers a hero? A life changing experience for me. It would carry him through the rest of the day....floating on cloud nine.
Me? I had to leave him and meet my team.
We got "dressed"...or undressed.... and prepared to plunge. Once we were ready it was time for photos and then the walk to "line up", We entered the line and heating tent to wait our turn ....and then it was time!  we burst out of the tent and headed to the water.  I could hear 13 screaming "GO MOM" over my shoulder as I headed to the water with my team....
My favorite cheerleader!
And then it was time for the Nestea Plunge!  Backwards I fell  with my head going beneath the water!  It was exhilarating and amazing!! I danced as I pulled up my sagging, wet tutu and headed towards the shore cold and HAPPY!
The team found our supporters, took photos and headed to change into warm clothing.  Once I was changed, 13 and I went to get some hot chocolate and food. We ate and drank and danced and laughed and warmed up. It was a joy to watch my boy so happy.
Soon it was time to head to the car for the drive home. 13 and I talked and laughed some more as he floated on cloud nine...and I did too.
Today was a day that I will remember for a lifetime. Time with good friends. Time checking an item off my bucket list. Time raising money for 2 great causes. Time with my son that changed his life and mine forever. #forwardisapace Peace



No comments:

Post a Comment