Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Run....

I run for many reasons...the main reason I run is for my own sanity! There are times when my kids ask, "Mom, do you need to go for a run?" like running is a magic pill that makes me feel better. There are times it does feel that way.

I run because I can...really....there are so many people that can't run...that can't move. So I run for them. I run to set a good example for my kids. I run so that I can live a longer (more time to torment my kids!!) and healthier (less of a burden) life. I run the marathon for two charities...Alexander Leigh Center for Autism and Girls on the Run.

ALCA is a unique place. The Alexander Leigh Center for Autism is a 501(c)(3) non profit, developmental learning center and therapeutic day school for children with autistic spectrum disorders. The Alexander Leigh Center for Autism was founded by two mothers both parents of children with autism. One of these moms, Kelly Weaver, is a good friend and I run for her daughter Gillian. She is my hero! The two dedicated mothers are determined to create a place where children can reach their full individual potential, in a caring and safe environment, a place where each child's differences are what make them special. To provide an environment where children on the autistic spectrum can develop their potential academically, emotionally, socially, communicatively, physically and gain functional independence using programs and methods that are selected for each child based on their individual needs.

Girls on the Run is a life-changing, experiential learning programs for girls age eight to thirteen years old. The programs combine training for a 3.1 mile running event with self-esteem enhancing, uplifting workouts. The goals of the programs are to encourage positive emotional, social, mental, spiritual and physical development. I am a coach for this program and have seen the benefits firsthand.

If you would like to help either of these worthy causes....you could be a hero to any one of these kids...

Thank you in advance.
http://www.firstgiving.org/alca1
http://www.active.com/donate/SoleMates2011/KNader10

I run for many reasons....why do you run?

No comments:

Post a Comment