Thursday, July 8, 2010

In Memory....



Today's nasty, hot, muggy, sweat, miserable 5 mile run was dedicated to the memory of PO Thor Soderberg who was killed in the line of duty yesterday. My discomfort was nothing compared to the loss and discomfort his wife, family and friends feel at this time.

People ask how the wives and families of police, firefighters, military personnel and other first responders do it...how they live with the fear. I can speak for myself when I say that I put it out of my mind. I trust my husband and his partners to keep each other safe. It is nights like last night that bring the fear back home. When the phone rings late at night my hair stands up on the back of my neck. I worry....always....but put it out of my mind to get through the day. If I let the worry and fear consume me, I would never leave the house. I pray...a lot....for all those who put their lives on the line each and every day to keep us safe and protect our freedoms. They do not take risks alone as each has a family and friends they long to return to at the end of each tour of duty.

So today...and every day... thank a first responder or military person. Thank someone for putting their life on the line to keep you and your family safe...because yesterday Chicago lost one of its Finest and Bravest and a family lost a loved one.

We will never forget.....
www.cpdmemorial.org

No comments:

Post a Comment