Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What are you going to be today?

Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'
Peter Maher

Today I was stronger than usual. I got up and out of bed early....that was the hard part. Getting dressed and ready for a run once I had left the comfort of my bed was not too difficult. Once out on the pavement and with a buddy, the miles just ticked away. Just 3 today in the thick early morning air...but 3 more to add to the bank that gets this mind and body ready for October.

Training for this marathon has been different in so many ways from last year. Joining a group, creating new relationships with other runners, and seeing a new perspective on training have been just a few of the benefits. I was so keyed into my training last year that I had to run every mile by the book...never long and never short. I am beginning to realize that every run is one that adds to the bank and, while not every run is a good run, they all add up. I am also learning more about myself and my pace. I am learning to listen to my body more than ever. I am learning that rest is good. Rest is important... I do not have to be doing something every minute of the day! One of the biggest things I have realized is that running does not CLEAR my head....running allows me to sort through things in order to be a better mom, wife, friend, teacher....

I already know that I am strong enough to run a marathon...once....however, am I strong enough to run a marathon a second or third time? Only time will tell but for today I was strong...strong enough to get out of bed and run!

No comments:

Post a Comment