Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Family dinner

This is NOT what dinner looks like in my house!
In some families, family dinner together is a nightly occurrence. Dinner together was the norm for me growing up.

Dinner in our home is usually just the kids and mom trying to eat before the next person has to leave for some activity. When Dad works nights, dinner with all of us together and without the interruption of sports, practices, games, social obligations is rare....like a sighting of the Yeti.
Last night was one of those rare nights when we were all home and having dinner together. We eat at the dining room table and the menu is never fancy. We are a meat, potatoes and veggies family.

The conversation can take as many turns as a Indy 500 driver. There is much to talk about and catch up on when dad is off only 2 nights a week. Add the diverse age ranges and interests of my children and we wind up with whiplash from the conversational changes in direction.

It is one of my great joys to sit in awe of a loud, raucous dinner table filled to capacity. There is never a dull moment nor a quiet one as everyone fights to have their voice heard and their opinion recognized. There are arguments, and disagreements but mostly there are laughs.....lots and lots of laughs. I learn so much about my children and their friends during these dinners. I learn a lot about myself as well as I am often the butt of some of the jokes. I have learned to let it go and laugh. I am honored that my kids are comfortable enough to joke and tease me about my habits. This often leads me to change but also lets me know what they notice and feel is important Taking these comments less seriously has allowed me to laugh right with my kids and often times changes my behavior.
The frustrations of the week fade away as a sit with my family taking in all the love. Family dinner is common in many families but not mine so I never take one moment for granted. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment