Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Moments

Each day is filled with small moments that can turn your life one way or other. Moments that can change your attitude and your outlook. Moments that can stop you in your tracks.

Today I had one of those "stop you in your tracks" moments. I was having a really bad morning. It seemed as though nothing could go right. Too much to do and not enough time. No one was moving out of beds and towards the door. My children were not cooperating and my reaction to their behavior was not one of my better parenting moments.
Arriving at school just compounded the problems as now there were a whole new set of issues, parents and emails that required my attention. As I flew through the first hour of the day, all I could think of was all that needed to be done and how I was not really at my best....too scattered and frustrated.

The bell rang and the students began to enter....21 human beings with plenty of their own baggage arriving in my classroom. Time to focus on them and end my pity/anger/frustration party.

One of my students walked over to me and handed me a bright pink (my favorite color) agitate rock and a note. I slowed long enough to thank her and moved on to the next issue at hand (a forgotten lunch). A few minutes later I had a moment to stop and open the note.....it stopped me dead in my tracks. It was a reminder of why I get up and come to work each day....for kids like this. It was a reminder of why I love teaching so much. It was a reminder of what is important. A simple note from a child with unimaginable power.

Never underestimate the power of your actions; with one small gesture you can change a persons life. God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some positive way. Look for God in others and leave them smiling by your actions of kindness. One moment is all it takes.......
 Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment