Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Finished

This poster hangs on my son's wall

The other night my husband asked me an interesting question. We were in the car driving home from a dinner date when he asked, "Do you ever wish we had purchased a finished house? Ya know...one that had everything all done?" The question was completely out of the blue and like a pitch from left field. I was thrown. I thought about it for a bit and responded, "we could never had afforded what we wanted if it were all finished" end of discussion.

But then I got to really thinking about his question. I would love a house that is finished, decorated and pretty. I do not have that. I have an old house in need of a myriad of repairs and some pretty large overhauls. My house shows its age on a regular basis. Nothing in my old house is really "finished". It may not be pretty to look at but it is a welcoming place where I can provide space for family to be together and enjoy the company of one another. It is a warm place for my kids friends to sit, share stories and laugh. It is a place where I can feed stomachs and souls. It is a lot like me.

I feel that I show my age. I am in need of minor repairs and major overhauls. I like to think I can be a warm person with whom people can share stores and laughs. I like to think I can feed stomachs and souls alike. Perhaps this is why I love my house so much. It is unfinished, cluttered, old and a work in progress. Like my house...I am unfinished, cluttered, old...and I am a work in progress.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment