Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Disconnect

So Sunday my phone was feeling a little jumpy and decided to go for a swim. After my initial panic, I pulled it out of the water right away and yanked the battery out as fast as I could. I guess my phone was longing for a little spa time so after the swim, it went for a rice massage and dry sauna for a few days. I have resolved to remain as calm as possible this year so I took a deep breath and decided to look at the upside of this disconnection.

I still had a laptop. I still had an ipod. I still had a house phone. I was still connected...just not teathered 24/7.  I had to be patient and wait....

My kids have become dependant on my text reminders and the ability to text me whenever they want....often when they are in the next room!  This disconnect offered an opportunity for face to face contact!  They actually had to speak to me in the same room!  I realized that they don't really need my reminders...they need a bit more independance. They had to plan ahead for rides and events for a few days and the accountability was good for all of us.

The time from my husband was good as well. We work different shifts and rely on texts to relay information. We often times misread intent in a text and it can develop into an arguement. Having to plan a time to talk on the phone was good as we had to stick to the important information and actually hear each others voices.

The time away from the 'connection' to work and personal email was refreshing. I was reminded that I don't need to be accessable to everyone all the time. The fact that I didn't have to make sure my clothing had a pocket for my phone was a bonus too! The many lessons in patience ....well....were priceless.

The disconnect lasted for 3 days and was actually quite wonderful. I missed the instant access to my kids and friends but realized that a little space was a good thing. I realized how much I preach about NOT texting/talking on the phone and driving ....but I do it anyway. I realized that checking my phone/email is the first thing I do when I get up and the last before I go to sleep. I realized that I love talking to my kids FACE TO FACE.  So much has changed with the advent of 'smartphones'. We have changed so much in the way we interact with one another...much of it not for the better. Cell phones are a necessary evil but, just as with any tool, have to be used properly....and not misused. The disconnect was so beneficial in so many ways and something I may choose to do on my own  periodically. The lessons learned will lead to changes in behavior.

Take time here and there to disconnect. Reconnect with the people in your life ...and with yourself. I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment